Why You Should Get an SNI License in Indonesia Now
While it is a popular saying that customers are always right, it is also important to remember that they are not expecting anything less than what they paid for.
What does this mean? Customers know their money’s worth; that is why they always look for quality in every purchase.
The SNI license in Indonesia, or Standar Nasional Indonesia, just assures this. It is a certification proving that the company’s products and services are meeting the minimum regulatory level of quality.
With the Indonesian government vouching for your offering, do not be surprised if consumer confidence will surge. This is because the public knows that your products and services are safe to use or consume.
But What is SNI License, Really?
SNI license in Indonesia is a standard applicable to products and services. It helps to identify if the products and services in the country are on par with a standard quality.
It is drafted by the National Standardization Agency of Indonesia (BSN) and checked by the Technical Committee on goods, services, system, personnel and process. Established in 1997, BSN is tasked to create and promote national standardization in the country.
You can secure an SNI license through a third-party product certification system which includes product sample testing, quality system assessment and surveillance of the whole process.
In addition, SNI is a non-tariff import measure by the Indonesian government to make sure that all products entering its shores have quality and are safe. After passing this stage, it means your products can be sold anywhere in the country.
What Products Require SNI Certification?
Among the product categories that need SNI license in Indonesia is:
- food and beverages
- construction materials
- children’s toys
- air conditioners and fans
- glass materials
- helmets and tires
- instant coffee and cacao powder
- mineral water
- water pumps
- washing machines and refrigerators
- iron and steel products
- palm oil
- cookies and biscuits
- power cable
- lights and lighting materials
It must be noted, however, that not all products falling under the mentioned categories are requiring an SNI license in Indonesia.
How Can You Get Your SNI License?
Here are the steps you need to know when applying for an SNI license.
- You need to check first whether your products need to have an SNI license. Likewise, do this to avoid unnecessary paperwork.
- After this, look for the corresponding Product Certification Body for your products.
- Submit your application to the said agency.
- Your company and products will undergo an audit process and sample testing as part of the evaluation phase. A sample, being a representative of your products, will be obtained for scrutiny.
- Should your products meet the standard, the corresponding SNI body will issue your license.
Adhering to the World Trade Organization’s Principles
Whether the SNI license in Indonesia is required or optional, the process of acquiring this follows the World Trade Organization’s Code of Good Practice.
- Transparency. The Government is allowing all stakeholders to know the progress on the SNI application. Authorities-in-charge can readily give the needed updates on the process.
- Openness. The government is allowing stakeholders of the company to participate in the SNI certification.
- Coherence. The SNI license in Indonesia is parallel with international standards, and the government is making sure that it is also updated with the latest developments. This makes the country at par with the global market, pushing further its international trade with other nations.
- Consensus and impartiality. The Indonesian government ensures that all applications are treated fairly.
- Effectiveness and relevance. The government is reviewing the market needs and demands.
- The dimension of development. Indonesia considers both the national and public interests to boost its competitive advantage.
Getting your SNI license in Indonesia may cost you time and application fee, but it is worth it. Having the government certifying that your products are safe for consumption and meet a standard quality will pay off. In other words, this can open your company to more market opportunities.
It is the kind of approval that you will be needing to not only compete in Indonesia but also to stay at the forefront of the global market. And at a time of heightened globalization, the SNI license is your passport to travel around the world and to reach a new level of success.
Reach out to 3E Accounting Indonesia and we’ll help you get your business licenses in Indonesia. We are an excellent team filled with experts in business and accounting services.