Getting to Know the Company Secretary of the Future
Who is the company secretary of the future? What is he or she like? Are there some tasks that he or she should be able to handle effectively? What are the skills he or she needed to be equipped with?
These are some of the questions that have changing answers throughout the years as the business landscape itself evolves with time. It is because the nature of the job of corporate secretaries continues to change as well as new technologies and artificial intelligence enter the scene.
There are now different tools that help companies accomplish complex tasks in a matter of minutes, effectively changing the name of the game. Still, there is a void being filled by corporate secretaries as there are jobs that require human judgment. The human aspect is the most important touch in every company, as they say.
But this is not an excuse for the company secretary of the future to be complacent. Corporate secretaries, like in any other profession, should always learn how to adapt to the new trend.
What Are the Roles of Company Secretaries?
Before we go on discussing the necessary moves company secretaries should do to remain relevant, let us first discuss the very core of their jobs. By doing so, it can help us understand their roles better.
- Helping the board of directors. An effective corporate secretary can assist the board of directors by providing advice on various aspects of the business. This, in addition to doing his or her primary tasks as corporate secretary.
- Chief commanding officer. Being in this position, the corporate secretary is responsible for noting the general conduct of the company’s legislative activities. With this, it is only imperative for them to manage both the legal and confidential data of the firm.
- Company registrar. The Corporate secretaries should also be able to handle the managerial bureaucracy over the company’s registry.
- Corporate policymaker. Corporate secretaries provide their insights toward any short- or long-term corporate policies. They also sound the alarm when the said policies are up for review already.
- Legal advisor. Corporate secretaries are expected to extend aid in handling legal documents. At the same time, they must know the bureaucratic and lawful orders, corporate laws, and security of the firm.
These are just some of the corporate secretaries’ roles in a company. It might vary depending on the firm.
Passion for Learning as Technology Changes the Landscape
The company secretary of the future is someone who never gets tired of learning new things. It is indeed evident that technology has rapidly been adopted by every business. It has become a staple in doing business processes efficiently within a short time frame.
If you do not know yet the new technologies, educate yourselves right away. Be a life-long learner. Do not be intimidated by advancements in technology—learn them by immersing yourself. Learn them today and do not wait a day long before you delve in algorithms, artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, among others, if needed.
Looking at the bigger picture, the company secretary of the future should also be up to date on the latest happenings in the industry, competitors, and shareholders, among others. This is to help them know how to formulate their next steps and make intelligent advice to the board of directors.
Becoming a Reliable Strategic Partner
Being a strategic partner in a firm requires a lot of effort and preparation. It is a big responsibility because you need to portray yourself as someone who can handle the jobs in both the board and the whole company.
It is your job to accomplish the following:
- You must convince your company that your role as corporate secretary is evolving and this gives rise to additional resources.
- You must be able to earmark investments for technology to do your role. Funding is necessary to put in place effective technologies needed to make operations more efficient.
- You must be equipped with the necessary skill set.
If you are searching for company secretarial services, look no further. 3E Accounting is here to help you today. Contact us immediately and our team will gladly help you and your company.